May I recommend

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

SHE Heard the Flowers Sing

   Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge is having a Stamp-Tember Blog hop and Anything Goes is the theme.  I'm excited to put in my entry as a Mixed media for this challenge.  
   I've been privileged to have a new wonderful crafty friend, Melisa Waldorf.  Just a few weeks ago, I visited at her house for some crafty time together and we worked on cards.  She has lots of lovely, crafty art she made that decorates her craft room.  A trio of wall hangings uniquely placed on the wall within open frames she told me were not completely finished yet, but she had learned to do from an online class called She Art by Christy Tomlinson.


   I joined as soon as I got home--and I am hooked!  By Friday, I had only made it through Week 1 of the class (there are 3) because I've watched the videos a couple of times just because they are so fun.  
   Melisa and I got together again at her house this past Saturday so I could work on my canvas.  I was nervous about adding the girl, but it turned out to be much easier than I expected.  Melisa worked on completing the flowers, butterflies and bird house she needed to add to her three canvases.
   I was so anxious to have a good start before we got together that I ran home at lunch on Friday to put gesso on my canvases.  I realized later that evening the packaging had said they were already prepared and ready for acrylic paints - LOL.  Oh well, better safe than sorry right?!
    I still needed to pack up my supplies in a rolling case and a basket to take with me to Melisa's house.  But I could not keep myself from messing with my canvases (I was taking two 6"x12" with me).  So I did one of Christy's prep suggestions of adding tissue paper and book paper as a background.  
   OK! SET!  I'm ready to let those dry.  On to the packing .... selecting paint colors...matching designer papers to take for inspiration.   Hmmm ... this Olive Green (Master's Touch Fine Art Studios acrylics) is pretty cool -- really looks more like a Kiwi green to me.
   OK - now I'm putting paints on:  pink, red, the olive green and next thing you know I have colorful canvas to dry.  
   Saturday morning - I'm packing a tote and a basket to take, but I'm playing Christy's video on the PC for background noise and I started watching.  Uh oh!  Here's a new acrylic stamp that looks like sheet music -- just gotta sneak a little detail onto the canvas--a la Christy!
   Yeah ... now I'm ready to head out the door.
   Drum roll now ... and here she is finished!
   I added my favorite Dyan Reaveley leaf stamp on the side and swished in some acrylic paints.  Stamped all around the edges and top with one of Wendy Vecchi's flower stamps from one of the Studio 490 sets.  I painted the flowers in with some Tattered Angels Glimmer Glam which gives them a lovely sheen.  
   Melisa loves lace and had the perfect little yellow-flowered lace I added as a collar to her dress.  I put rub-ons as accents on the dress -- you should how crazy Christy gets with them in her videos--they appear everywhere!  
   This has been a lot of fun--you almost don't want to stop, but I needed to have something to post, didn't I?
   Shhh - don't tell!  I already have backgrounds going on four other pieces of board and canvases.  I think I may need an intervention soon -- but not before I get done watching week 3 of the online workshop!
  Thanks for looking!

8 comments:

ellen vargo said...

Beautiful!!! LOVE your canvas and can't wait to see the ones you're working on! GO FOR IT! Thanks for sharing your art with us on the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

Ellen :)

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!! I love everything about it!

Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!!!
-Sarah

Please:
*Follow Simon Says Stamp on Twitter
*Like us on facebook!

Laura - Layers of Color said...

This looks like fun to make and to look at! So many lively and colorful layers! Wonderful!

Michele Oliver said...

I love your girl. I just completed Christy's course, and I loved, loved it. She really is the most amazing woman. You did a great job with your canvass. Thanks for sharing.

Lorraine A said...

fabulous work of art ! stunning ! :-)

thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp-tember Hop and Challenge :-)
luv
Lols x x x

Melisa Waldorf said...

This is a fabulous She art project. It's exactly what Christy teaches, lots of layers of good stuff, favorite images, color, texture and of course a lovely girl. You have combined so many wonderful things and created a one of a kind She art!

Terry said...

Wowzerssss fabulous Canvas, the colors are just great thank you for joining into the Stamp-Tember Bloghop with my teamies and me from Simon Says Stamp and Show and Simon Says Stamp. Hugs Terry xxxx

debby4000 said...

Oh this is fabulous, what wonderful work.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamps Challenge.
luv
Debby

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...