May I recommend

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Simon Says Stamp and Show a Tim Holtz Technique

I've been rubbing my hands with glee & getting inky since I saw the challenge theme for this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show blog.   What?!  A Tim Holtz technique?  Are you sure?  OH YEAH!  I am SO definitely on it!!  
   Remember, the ever-generous sponsor, Simon Says Stamp is offering a $50 gift voucher for a randomly drawn entry - so why not hop over and check it out?
   I love-Love-LOVE(!) the Dabber Resist technique and have been using it a lot on projects.  It is featured in Tim's book, A Compendium of Curiosities, on page 37.  (I  taught my swap group the technique back in June and they were all running to a store to get his book and supplies almost before we finished our meeting.)
  I made a card and I did some weird layering because of how I wanted to make the Art Parts bookplate stand out with the sentiment stamp from Tim Holtz's set Good Thoughts CMS085.  I'll give you deets a little further down on how I made the book plate look like such a cool, vintage sign.
   My resist stamping was with the Grunge Alphabet CMs008.  I used Distress Inks in Bundled Sage, Tattered Rose, Wild Honey (what's that? you're surprised I'd use that color?!), and Broken China.
   I used the Generations Ladies from Photo Studio CMS013 stamped with Ranger's Archival Sepia ink.  (I had a bit of a giggle because Grandma came out with a green face and with her hair and the gray at side of her hair, she reminded me of Grandpa from the old TV show The Munsters.  Am I terrible or what? LOL)
   Paper layers were from the Lost and Found stack.  The zig-zag stamp from Spring Sprung CMS084 was stamped with Archival Jet Black ink.
   OK - the moment you've been waiting for and, for me, the best part because I got to mess about with LOVELY distress stains and some in the new colors!  
   The bookplate Art Part was first covered with some of the Picket Fence white, then I put Vintage Photo, another layer of Picket Fence but in a sketchy "here & there" kind of way, the moved onto some Walnut Stain.  
   Got the brilliant idea of an old background stamp in my stash with wonderful "scratchy" marks and put the Black Soot Distress Stain on it and stamped.  
   OH MY!  I immediately fell in love with Black Soot as a stain--I really wasn't sure what I was going to do with it when it first came.  AND it's  perfect to cover the edges--I put  a pool on the mat also and dipped into it and a little bit seeped to the front edges and gave it a great worn and weathered look.  
   I stamped the sentiment from Good Thought CMS085 onto a scrap of manila tag and weathered it with Picket Fence and Old Paper stains.  Used an old, cheap pair of deckle scissors to cut out.  Edged with blending tool and Vintage Photo Distress Ink.  
   Added some Grunge Paper leaves stamped and covered with Peeled Paint stains from a past project, added some ecru crocheted lace colored with Distress Stains in colors to match the inks I used.  Glued down some vintage brads.  (I had a particular reason for "those' brads.  The white-ish one for Grandma with her "going white" hair, the ornate one for Mama in her prime and the little one for Little Miss.)  Lastly I put an Ideology Muse Token and smashed on my brads on the sign with my "Tim hammer".
   Do you like?  I hope so!  I had so much fun with this project.
   I'll be off to a dance competition event this weekend so I'll miss my craft room time until Sunday.
   Hugs to all!
   Deb

10 comments:

Kaz said...

Adore this, great work x

Lezlie Sherman said...

Beautiful project... You put alot of work and detail into this! Love it! Thanks for sharing the 'how to'.

Marva said...

Oh that's awesome!

Marjie Kemper said...

Terrific job, Deb! Love all the components. Good luck @ the competition!

Candy C said...

Hello Deb. Your entry into Simon Says Stamp and Show's Tim Technique Challenge is wonderful! Lots of wonderful techniques and elements on this one! Thanks so much for joining us at the challenge <3 Candy

Robyn said...

good use of the soot!
please visit my challenge
http://createdbyhandchallenge.wordpress.com/

Bunnyfreak said...

This is stunning. Love the sign.

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

This sentiment is awesome and goes so great with the ladies. Nice card!

Thanks for entering Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!
Renee, Simon Says Stamp

Gillian .... said...

Hi Deb, the generation stamp is one of my all time favs, love how you have incorporated it within this piece and the use of all the different techniques, cool! x

LynneForsythe said...

Toooooo Cooool to say the least....and your card turned out JUST WONDERFULLY!!

THANKS BUNCHES for playing along with the teamies and Simon Says Stamp and Show!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...